Downtown Mt. Clemens Rolls Out Schedule of Events
Downtown Mount Clemens rolls out schedule of events
A new walk/run event will be known as the Mount Clemens City Sneakers that will take place every Tuesday evening starting May 24. Participants will meet at a pre-designated restaurant, go for a 4-mile run, followed by a 2-mile walk toward the restaurant.
“This will expose people to our rich, historic neighborhoods so that the public can become familiar with all corners of Mount Clemens,” said Michelle Weiss, retail coordinator for the DDA.
The run won’t be overly competitive but will provide participants with a good workout, Weiss added.
Mount Clemens-based Hunch Free Digital Marketing Agency will create a website and the first event will be held at Three Blind Mice Irish Pub.
Meanwhile, the DDA has created Downtown Sight & Sound Concert series, three nights of free, outdoor music on Macomb Place near Southbound Gratiot Avenue. The series replaces the Nashville in the Nights outdoor country music concerts that mixed local and national acts.
“We had three wonderful years, we gave country music a chance but at this point, we’ve decided to go in a different direction,” Weiss said.
Downtown Sight & Sound will be held on the first Thursday night of the month, June-September. The first act booked is Dearborn-based pop party band the Killer Flamingos performing June 2.
“We plan to have Motown, jazz, and rock music,” Weiss said. “We’re going to have a real stage with towers and lights and the whole bit. We felt it would provide a more professional look.”
DDA officials are still working on the Independence Day Fireworks and Riversight and Sound Concert series that takes place on June 24 at Clinton River Park behind City Hall, and lining up bands for the Uptown Friday Night Concert series that is held at the Fountain Stage on Macomb Place.
City officials decided not to host a summer festival this year, letting the fireworks and free concert stand on their own.
Here’s a look at the DDA’s 2016 lineup:
• May 6-7 Mount Clemens Made in Michigan Show
• May 7 Spring Fun Saturday & Kiwanis Bike Rodeo
• June 2 Downtown Sight & Sound Concert
• June 3-4 Bud Light Classic Car Night & Cruise
• June 24 Independence Day Fireworks and Riversight & Sound Concert
• July 7 Downtown Sight & Sound Concert
• July 13-Sept. 14 — Wednesday Farmers Market
• July 15 Uptown Friday Night Concert
• July 22 Uptown Friday Night Concert
• July 29 Uptown Friday Night Concert
• July 29-31 Gus Macker Tournament
• Aug. 4 Downtown Sight & Sound Concert
• Aug. 12 Uptown Friday Night Concert
• Aug. 26 Uptown Friday Night Concert
• Aug. 28 Bikes, Burgers, and Brews
• Sept. 23-25 Downtown Oktoberfest
• Oct. 29 Halloween Spooktacular
• Nov. 18 Christmas Open House
• Nov. 19 Macomb County Santa Parade
• Nov. 26 Small Business Saturday
• Dec. 31 Macomb County New Year’s Eve Gala
By Mitch Hotts, Macomb Daily